Mining leases and concessions
Mining Act deals with
the management of mineral resources and the granting of exploration
rights for mineral substances during the exploration phase. It also
deals with the granting of rights pertaining to the use of these
substances during the mining phase. Finally, the act establishes
the rights and obligations of the holders of mining rights to ensure
maximum development of Québec’s mineral resources.
The Ministère de l'Énergie et des Ressources naturelles has made it a priority to publicize the
content of this new legislation along with the procedures that must
be followed for compliance. With this objective in mind, four documents
These documents provide mining stakeholders
with the necessary information regarding their rights and obligations.
This document deals with mining leases
and concessions. It describes:
- the conditions for issuing or renewing a mining lease, which
is the only valid title granted for the mining of mineral substances
other than surface mineral substances;
- the rights and obligations of the holder of a mining lease
- the required authorizations for setting up a mill or for choosing
the location of mine tailings;
- the obligations related to filing a mine site rehabilitation
- the terms and conditions for subdividing the land surface.