Strategic Vision for Mining Development in Québec
A unifying vision of mining development in Québec, the outcome of consultations with Québec’s mining development stakeholders.
The Strategic Vision for Mining Development in Québec is the outcome of consultations held between the Ministère de l’Énergie et des Ressources naturelles (MERN) and other ministries, government organizations and stakeholders in November 2014, as well as the regional tour by the Minister for Mines in spring 2015, and the ongoing cooperation between members of the Mines Advisory Committee.
The Strategic Vision has a broader scope than the Mineral Strategy. It covers the full range of the mining spectrum, from exploration and extraction, to suppliers and equipment manufacturers, to primary metal manufacturing. The Strategic Vision defines three broad guidelines that adhere to the principles of sustainable development:
- Advance existing mining industries and develop new ones;
- Prevent and mitigate environmental impacts; and
- Promote transparency and citizen participation.
These guidelines are broken down into 38 objectives and 50 actions. The timescale given for the Strategic Vision is five years.
- A document on KPMG’s findings presented to ministries, organizations and other stakeholders (French only)
- A document on the issues presented by the Minister for Mines during his regional tour (French only)
- A presentation given by the MERN on guidelines for the Mines Advisory Committee (French only)
- A list of consulted organizations (French only)
- Mineral Strategy
- The Mineral Strategy of Québec – Preparing the Future for the Québec’s Mineral Sector