Wind farm construction on public land
To grant land rights for the use of public land for commercial wind energy generation and distribution, the Ministère de l’Énergie et des Ressources naturelles applies the Program to allocate public land for wind farm construction.
The goal of this program is to make accessible and reserve public land for wind farm construction. Under the program, the government can:
- establish wind farms on lands in the domain of the State following tender solicitations by Hydro-Québec;
- set the terms and conditions for granting land rights for the construction of wind farms on lands in the domain of the State;
- permit tenderers on Hydro-Québec tender solicitations to propose projects for the construction of wind farms on lands in the domain of the State;
- set the lease rate for lands in the domain of the State used for wind power facilities based on the market rates.
Obtaining land use rights is crucial to construction of wind farms. In its calls for tenders, Hydro-Québec requires tenderers to show that they have located a project site and taken steps to acquire the land or secure land use rights for wind farms. In the case of public lands, a letter of intent is required. Tenderers may apply for a letter of intent by submitting an Application for letter of intent regarding use of public land for the construction of wind farms.
If the project is subsequently approved by Hydro-Québec, the successful bidder must then obtain a reserved land area for the lands in the domain of the State identified therein. The tenderer must also obtain land rights by submitting a Request to use public land. Land rights will be granted if the application is approved and all conditions are met to the Department ’s satisfaction.
- Application for letter of intent regarding use of public land for the construction of wind farms (in French)
- Application for reserved land area in respect of lands in the domain of the State for the construction of wind farms
- Guidelines for the installation of wind generating facilities on public land
- Information Guide for Candidates in the 3rd Tender Solicitation for the Purchase of two Separate Blocks of 250 MW of Electricity Produced by Wind Turbines, one from First Nation Projects and the other Community Projects for a Total Installed Capacity of 500 MW
- Landscape Integration and Harmonization Assessment Guide – Wind Farm Siting Project on Public Land
- Letter of intent
- Obtaining land rights
- Other terms and conditions
- Reserved land area